Fast forward today, I am still human ;) But bow and arrows gave me a different meaning. When I hold a bow and shoot an arrow, I felt like..... Katniss (of Hunger Games!). The point I want to stress here, Archery can be such a good hobby because of its benefits, despite that there's no walking and running involved in this sport. I used to think that Archery is just for the sophisticated and regal. But hey, it is also for the fierce and edgy.
In Manila (no, in Makati), I found another Archery Range in the basement of the old Makati Cinema Square. The Kodanda Archery Range is a seven-lane, fully air-conditioned archery center which opened July 5 last year. Kodanda Archery Range provides an affordable Archery lessons and venue. It is open for everyone, even to kids as young as seven-years old.
I went to Kodanda with my brother and tried the archery range. Once you step inside the archery range, rules must be followed.
Click Read More to know more about Kodanda Archery Range..
- Always treat your bow with respect
- Do not draw and point the arrow to anyone.
- Only release arrow at full draw. Dry firing may damage the bow and dangerous.
- If you drop an arrow, leave it on the ground until you get a signal to get it.
- Place bow on the rack when not in use.
- Pay attention to the instructions.
- Listen to the whistles:
- One whistle: Start Shooting
- Two whistles: Stop Shooting
- Three whistles: Get your arrows
Archery's history began in 1700s. Bow and arrows were initially used as tools for hunting, and soon became a sports. Archery gained worldwide popularity in recent years thanks to Hollywood blockbusters like the Lord of the Rings (Legolas and the Elves) and more recently The Hunger Games (Katniss Everdeen), the Avengers (Hawkeye), Disney’s animated feature Brave (Princess Merida), and popular US television shows Arrow and The Walking Dead. A group of friends saw this increasing interest as well as the lack of facility where one can learn the sport. Thus the Kodanda Archery Range was created.
Kodanda is the only archery range that is fully air-conditioned (vs open air) AND open to walk-ins (vs club membership required) in Makati. They offer the most affordable session in hourly fee that includes range rental, use of international-standard equipment and protective gear, and coaching on archery basics from expert instructors.
Armguard - protection for the arm against the string’s backlash
Fingertab - protection for the fingers’ repeated pulling of string
What to Wear in Archery Range? Archery OOTD
You can come as you are, but note that slippers are not allowed. Most come in comfy shirts and tee. If you want to channel Katniss, go ahead. I came from an event when we visited Kodanda, but I was still cute, yes? :)
But of course, you need some gears ;)
Kodanda has skilled trainers who will teach you Archery Basics. Syd was assigned to us. She is a former Philippine Player for SEA Games. The basic stance - stand sideways, body straight, hold the bow with arm stretched, pull the string (make sure the arrow is locked!), pull harder and string must touch the chin, focus and hit the target.
On my first pull, I felt so worried and scared in releasing the arrow. But after a few arrows, you will feel comfy aiming and shooting.
My Tip: Don't pull and focus too long, it would make your arm shaky and you might miss the target.
My first round. Not bad yes? Almost hit the target!
After our session, I thought of shooting more. This might be the sports for me! (aside from Chess - which again doesn't require walking and running!). Archery helps develop one’s arms, chest, shoulders, and back, developing upper body and arm strength with repetition.
I have read that constant practice also helps improve posture, balance, and hand-eye coordination. The exercise of targeting helps develop focus and patience. It feels good competing with one's self.
If you want to try Archery, here's some figures you may want to know about Kodanda Archery:
- Php550.00 per person, per hour inclusive of the following:
- ̧ Use of the archery range
- ̧ Rental of international-standard equipment and protective gear
- ̧ Coaching on archery basics from expert instructors
- Add’l Php30.00 for the target paper clients can take home as a souvenir.
- Php 200.00 is the range rental per person, per hour for those who already have their own gear
- Php6,000.00 for ten (10) sessions, one (1) hour per session
- Student will be issued a Certificate of Completion after the ten (10) sessions
- Fees include the use of the archery equipment and protective gear
Archery is for everyone, no matter what size, age, race and color you have :) Happy shooting!
Have you tried Archery? What do you think of this sport?
Kodanda Archery Range
Upper Basement of Makati Cinema Square, Chino Roces Avenue
(formerly Pasong Tamo), Makati City
Open from 10:30am to 07:30pm from Mondays to Sundays
Stay connected with me, subscribe to my blog!