travel & lifestyle blog by ruth dela cruz
Press Release

Traveling During Divorce: Are There Restrictions

March 18, 2022

There is nothing new or unknown in the fact that, in the event of a divorce, the child
must obtain the notarized consent of the other parent in order for taking a child out of state for
vacation in the future, but this is only a general rule with a few exceptions. To avoid meeting
your ex people tend to do different things. It’s conceivable that you’ll come across keywords such
as “online divorce Georgia” (or any other state) and “how to get a divorce online,” in addition to
various articles on the problem of asset and debt split during a divorce. As a result, the problem
of how to distribute debt following a divorce is addressed. 

The written agreement of the other parent is not essential, according to the regulations,
for a youngster under the age of 16 to go abroad with one of the parents in the following

  1.  if a foreigner or a stateless person is the child’s other parent, and this is declared on the child’s birth certificate; 
  1. if the kid’s passport has a record of his or her departure for permanent
    residence in another country or a notation indicating that the child has been registered as a
    permanent consular alien in the diplomatic or consular mission of the child’s home country
  2. A death certificate for one of the parents, a court order stripping the other
    parent of parental rights, pronouncing him incompetent or absent, or a birth certificate saying
    that the child’s father is written in the mother’s words are all acceptable forms of proof of
    incompetence or missingness. All of these exceptions to the usual norm of notarization of the
    other parent have previously been in effect, and they continue to be in effect. 
    A parent can travel with their kid without a notarized approval of the other parent
    from August 28, 2018, if he or she meets the following conditions: 
    – the term of the trip does not exceed 1 month; 
    – one of the parents wishes to travel overseas with their child, and they have
    a document from a court decision or the completion of the service for children to prove it; 
    – the purpose of the voyage, as well as its duration, are documented. The
    reasons for a child’s travel abroad are numerous and include vacation, participation in a
    competition, festival, competition, or contest, or for medical treatment or training in another

It is not possible for parents who wish to send their children abroad to do
so since there are no enforcement procedures in place to remove limits on the child’s capacity
to contact the other parent. 

Please be conscious of this! To inform the other parent that the other parent is aware of
his or her parental duties and does not owe child support, the parent who desires to go with the
child to the other parent’s house must first send a registered letter to the other parent’s residence.  
If one of the parents owes alimony to the other, one of the parents may leave the country
with their child for more than one month with the approval of the other parent, if the other parent
agrees. The amount of alimony to be paid for four months should be equal to the amount of debt
owed (for 3 months if the child is disabled or seriously ill). A certificate of debt can be issued by
either the state executive office of the Ministry of Justice or a private executor. 

Using this new set of rights will only be available to parents who can give
documentation that their child is always present in their home with them. Obtaining this sort of
document can be accomplished in two ways: administratively or through legal means. One of the
parents can, as a result, contact the children’s service at the child’s place of residence to confirm
the child’s place of residence to temporarily accompany the child on his or her travels. 

Children’s services must supply a copy of the divorce decision (if applicable),
confirmation of the delivery of a registered letter to the other parent informing them of the kid’s
upcoming travel (if the address of the other parent is known), and the location where the child
will be registered. Children’s services will also want a copy of your passport, birth certificate,
certificate of the place of registration (if this information is not contained in your passport), and the location where the kid will be registered).  

To assess the child’s temporary residency outside of Ukraine, the Children’s Service
delivers an opinion based on an evaluation of the documents given and a visit to the child’s place
of residence. Actually, it might take up to a month to finish this therapy in its entirety.  
It is necessary to obtain clearance from the local state administration or the executive
body of a municipal or village council before any children’s services can be provided within
seven working days of the decision or order being issued. Taking legal action against a judgment
or order that has been issued within ten days, on the other hand, is permissible under certain
circumstances. Before then, it is only once the appeals period for the judgment/order confirming
the child’s place of residence has elapsed that it will be deemed to be effective. 
Alternatively, a court order proving that the child’s principal home is with one of the
parents can be acquired through the legal system by one of the parents. In the normal course of
events, a claim of this nature is heard by the court. 

Please be aware of this! Children’s services, which examines the parents’ living
conditions and generates the same conclusion on the child’s place of residence, is also attached to
the case. Once the children’s agency has reached this determination, the court will make a
judgment on where to place the kid, whether he will live with his mother or his father. As part of
divorce procedures, a judge may also rule on the location of the child’s primary residence. If no
appeal is filed, the decision of a court of law will take effect only when the time period for
appeal has expired, if no appeal is filed. Furthermore, the court’s decision on the location of the
child’s domicile becomes final and unrestricted as soon as it enters into force.  
Parents who live apart from their children, i.e., whose domicile is not defined by the
children’s service or a court, are exempt from the new requirements while planning a vacation
abroad with a kid. Regardless of the length of the trip, and even if he does not owe alimony, he
must have the other parent’s approval in writing, notarized, before sending the kid overseas.

*This post is in partnership with

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *