One of the things I missed about traveling is the gustatory experience of trying out food. Aside from discovering new flavors, I also enjoy learning more about a country’s national dish, or interesting food trivia or celebrations.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, my usual travels were replaced with little adventures at home, pne of which is to try or re-create dishes. I read about Hot Dog Day being celebrated on July 21st, and wanted to do my version of Frank & Beans. Frank & Beans is an original American comfort food which you can serve as a main dish or as a side.
You might know it better as Pork & Beans, but Frank & Beans can be made with any sausage to make it halal or vegetarian. I thought of re-creating the recipe, and gave it a little twist. I decided to make a Frank N Garbanzo Sandwich which is inspired by Hotdog Sandwich with Chili Con Carne .
U.S. Garbanzo Beans or Chickpeas are considered the richest source of protein for vegetarians. It is also good at preventing Cardiovascular diseases and lowering Cholesterol level. Garbanzos are also rich in anti-oxidant, and Vitamin K which is good for strong bones. By using U. S. Garbanzo Beans or Chickpeas, my recipe became healthier and more delightful to eat for afternoon snack.
I used canned U.S. Garbanzos (available in your local grocery) that allows me to cut down on pre-cooking and cooking time. Sharing with you my recipe of Frank N Garbanzo Sandwich.
You will need:
1 cup U. S. Garbanzos
4 pcs frankfurter hotdog
1/2 k ground pork (or minced meat substitute)
1 pack tomato sauce
1 bottle tomato ketchup
salt & pepper
1 red bell pepper (medium size)
1 green bell pepper (medium size)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
Cook Bolognese Sauce with U.S. Garbanzos:
- 1. Sautee ground pork in onions and garlic. Add salt and pepper.
- 2. Add tomato sauce, tomato ketchup, green bell pepper and red bell pepper.
- 3. Add 1 can U.S. Garbanzos. I like that canned U.S. Garbanzos do not need pre-cooking, and you can directly add it in your recipe.
- 4. Let it boil. Season with chili powder, oregano, and salt & pepper. I usually just cook and taste base on my feelings, so there is no specific measurement for these.
Assemble the Frank & Garbanzo Sandwich:
- 5. Cook (or air-fry) Frankfurter hotdog.
- 6. Assemble your sandwich in a plate.
- 7. Pour Bolognese Sauce with Garbanzo over your Frankfurter, and top with grated cheese.
- 8. Enjoy!
I served my Frank N Garbanzos sandwich with (left-over) white wine and chocolate wafers. Let’s make everyday a celebration. Cheers!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. You can also follow me @ruthilicious on Instagram for more stories.