We are spending most of our time at home now than ever in our lifetime. It is funny every time I think that I no longer know how to travel, or board the plane.
Staying home makes me appreciate our house more. It is where I mostly do my content now and enrich my life. While it is nice to decorate our home to make it more homey, it is equally important to keep our home pest-free. One of the things I love about our home is that we do not have a Mickey Mouse living with us, and we keep pest away. It gives us an uneasy feeling whenever we get unwanted visitors (or pest) at home, and we always act immediately to keep them away. Sharing with you tips on how we keep our home pest-free.
- Cover open holes, cracks and crevices to keep rodents from entering home. We make sure that we cover or close doors where rodents/rats can enter our home. There are a few instances when unwanted visitors entered our home, and we are very keen at tracking them down by using mousetraps. We always act immediately to prevent them from breeding at home.
- Re-visit your storage. I try to always re-visit the storage room and clean it to make sure that there are no pest infestations. Roaches breed in (wet) cardboard, so we make sure to dispose (or sell) boxes we no longer need and use. I try to share my minimalist lifestyle with my parents, and throw away items we no longer use or haven’t used for years.
- Do not allow water to stand. Pests like mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Plants and flower vases look nice at home, but it is important to always change water in the vases. Make sure you get the drains running outside your house cleaned as stagnant dirty water in the drains can cause mosquito-borne diseases like dengue and malaria. Keep the bucket in your bathroom clean and replenished everyday. If you need to keep water for emergency use, make sure that it has a proper cover, and to re-visit and change them every week.
- Use Citronella – Scented Candles. I am obsessed with scented candles, and someone gifted me a Citronella – Scented Soy Candle. Citronella oil is considered to be one of the more effective natural insect repellents, and aside from putting on Citronella Oil, I also light Citronella – Scented Candles. I use a candle warmer for safety reasons and for more effective scent distribution. You can also be creative and make natural mosquito trap by recycling old materials. This is especially helpful if you have mini-garden or roof-top garden at home.
- Keep surroundings clean. It is the most basic and simple way to keep pests away. We always make sure to clean the kitchen and floor area to remove food particles that may attract pests. The key to keeping away pest is to remove their “food supply” at home. Cleaning your surroundings is also a good practice to prevent health problems, especially during this pandemic.
Do you also have tips that you want to share on how you keep your home pest-free?
Feel free to comment below, and share this blog too!